By: Sharon Aron Baron
The woman accused of drunken driving in the wrong-way crash that killed two 21-year-old best friends from Coral Springs will be on Inside Edition tonight explaining her side of the story.
In an interview advanced to the Sun Sentinel, Kayla Mendoza says she has no recollection of driving or the accident.
“How I ended up on the Sawgrass Expressway, I wish I knew,” Kayla Maria Mendoza tells Inside Edition scheduled to air at 7 p.m. Wednesday on Fox station WSVN-Ch. 7.
The accident took place on November 17, 2013 and killed best friends Marisa Catronio and Kaitlyn Ferrante when Mendoza’s car was driving the wrong way up on the Sawgrass expressway.
Mendoza, who was 20 and without a valid driver’s license at the time of the Nov. 17, 2013, collision, says in the interview, “It breaks my heart. And when I found out that not only did I get into an accident, but the two girls I got into an accident had passed away, it just really made me wonder why I didn’t too.”
Mendoza also addresses her “2 drunk 2 care” comment Tweeted out prior to the crash. She said the message was directed to her boyfriend following an argument, and was not a reference on her decision to drive.
“It did not mean, ‘I’m too drunk to care. I’m going to get in my car now and wherever the hell I end up, that’s it.'” she said in the interview. “No. It was directed to my boyfriend. That’s the only person that it was for.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.29Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.29Popular ‘Bethlehem Revisited’ Event Canceled Due to Covid-19
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1
- News2020.11.28Drop Off Hazardous Materials at 2 Different Dates and Locations in December