By Jill Fox
As a proud resident of Coral Springs who loves the community, Lily Bradford was thrilled she could play a part in the effort to teach children to be safe.
Earlier this summer, the City of Coral Springs hosted a Free Virtual Safety Town where elementary-aged children had the opportunity to learn important and valuable lessons about safety through videos and printable e-books.
For more than 30 years, the Summer Safety Town program has been a staple in Coral Springs, run with the support of the Kiwanis Club, volunteers, and city staff — and it was crucial, that regardless of the COVID-19 pandemic, they find a solution to continue this vital program.
When the Coral Springs Police contacted Rising Starz Music and Performance Academy to ask if they wanted to be a part of their Virtual Safety Town project, the aspiring actors, including Lily, 9, jumped at the chance.
As part of the Triple Threat program at Rising Starz, Lily has been practicing singing, dancing, and acting for more than four years and was chosen to appear in the very first video called “Stranger Danger” with Officer Hannah Rincón.
“I definitely enjoyed it,” said Lily, who loved that she could bring the experience to other kids who didn’t get to visit Safety Town in person, as she had in kindergarten.
No stranger to acting, this wasn’t Lily’s first time on camera. She is getting ready to appear in not one, but two other productions. Next month, she will be featured in a Hispanic heritage celebration on the Cartoon Network. She is also part of an Amazon Prime Video series filmed in Boca Raton, called Boca Witches.
According to Lily’s mother, Rebecca, the Coral Springs Police picked a few kids from the academy and wanted to make sure each one had their chance to shine.
Rebecca teaches Spanish at Riverglades Elementary in Parkland, where Lily and her twin sister Isabella, “her number one fan,” attend fourth grade.
The YouTube video lessons covering Stranger Danger and Trusted Adults, Firearms Safety, Pedestrian Safety, Bicycle Safety, Buckle Bear, Bathing Suit Zone, Dispatch and 911 Call Center, Drowning Prevention/Canal Safety, Fire Safety, and Household Hazards – Poison Control can be found here or download a free Safety Town PDF booklet here.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site here.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.09.1713 Coral Springs Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- News2020.09.15Donate Your Plasma Now to Help Save a Life
- News2020.09.03Paragon Theaters in Coral Springs Now Open: Health and Safety a Top Priority
- News2020.08.21New Emergency Order Modifies Restaurant Closing Hours