By Hank McCoy
What began as a suspected retail theft turned into Grand Theft Auto after two men fled in a stolen vehicle.
On July 27, a security guard at the Lowe’s at 3651 Turtle Creek Drive called Coral Springs Police about a theft that took place at approximately 1:35 p.m., where two suspects fled in a black Mercedes.
Twenty minutes later, the black Mercedes was spotted by police entering a Mobil gas station at the 9000 block of Wiles road.
Upon leaving the gas station, one of the suspects, Keyshawn Demps, 23, didn’t get back in the vehicle; instead, he walked across the parking lot where police apprehended him.
The second suspect, Jeremy Gassett, 23, of Sunrise, got back into the driver seat of the vehicle and drove away.
According to the police report, officers discovered the black Mercedes was reported as stolen by the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. In the notes, they had an alleged suspect listed under the name “Jeremy.”
Police pulled Gassett over in the stolen vehicle at the corner of Wiles and University, where he was removed from the car and apprehended. Gassett confirmed that the vehicle belonged to his brother’s girlfriend and that his brother had permitted him to use it.
Officers were able to confirm with dispatch that the vehicle in question was stolen and that Gassett had an open warrant for robbery.
Gassett was transported to the Coral Springs Police Department for booking and later to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.
Send your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Hank McCoy is a writer and journalist covering music, politics, and culture on his blog Hank’s Luncheonette, as well as currently working on publishing his first novel. Hank grew up in Parkland and graduated from FAU before moving to Chicago where he worked in the music industry as an artist and talent booker when he wasn’t throwing people out of punk bars. Hank recently moved back to South Florida after living overseas in Berlin while he traveled to Europe.
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Leaves Millage Rate Unchanged
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Talk Interviews Carter and Remy: Candidates for Commission Seat 5
- News2020.09.04MSD Grad and Chicago Cubs Anthony Rizzo Talks About Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- News2020.09.02Coral Springs SRO’s Get Body Cameras This School Year