By: Sharon Aron Baron
Award-winning actor and choreographer and former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School alumnus Ben Solmor has died on New Year’s Day after fighting a rare form of cancer — just three days short of his 33rd birthday.
Solmor, from Coral Springs, graduated from MSD in 2006, then moving to Delray Beach. He was an award-winning choreographer and professional dancer recognized by the New York Post for his performance as DJ Lenny Lizard in the Off-Broadway hit The Boychick Affair.
In 2017, he was diagnosed with Stage 2 chondrosarcoma, a type of bone cancer that develops in cartilage. Solmor’s cancer developed above his right knee. After multiple surgeries and hundreds of hours of physical therapy, he continued to make strides in the South Florida theatre scene. When Coral Springs Talk last caught up with him in 2020, he was choreographing Measure for Measure Theatre’s production of In The Heights.
He told Coral Springs Talk in an interview: “It’s fun and smart; a blend of classic musical theater infused with hip-hop and Latin/Funk. Music that keeps you on your toes not only to keep up with the story but because you’re probably dancing up a storm in the aisles.”
According to the Boca Raton Tribune, graveside service for Ben Yehuda Solmor was held Monday at Wellwood Cemetery in upstate New York. Alexander-Levitt Funerals & Cremations in Tamarac handled the local arrangements.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts