By: Jen Russon
By day, Bryce Tolin is an industrial engineer for FedEx, but on nights and weekends, his volunteerism with Troop 497 earned the Coral Springs resident two national awards from the Boy Scouts of America.
In April, Tolin accepted the Silver Beaver and NESA Outstanding Eagle Award at the South Florida Council Awards banquet presented at the Signature Grand hotel in Davie.
“All the Eagle Scouts were honored, and then each District had a Silver Beaver awarded,” said Tolin, adding only three were awarded the NESA Outstanding Eagle.
For Tolin, the hard work and self-sacrifice epitomized by the scouting program run in his blood.
His two brothers also went through the program, and his dad is a former cub and scoutmaster.
“I’m proud to say my dad was also awarded the Silver Beaver and still has his medal in safekeeping,” he said.
That was about half a century ago, in Holton, Kansas, where the Tolin’s hail from.
“I started my scouting career in Pack 64 in the Jayhawk Council, earned my Arrow of Light, and eventually the Eagle in 1970,” said Tolin.
His son, Zane, began his scouting journey in 2001, the pair donating hours of volunteerism that cumulatively amount to years.
Tolin’s roles with the BSA include assistant scoutmaster and troop Eagle advisor. Bryce has also worked closely with Crew 497 as a committee chair, advisor, and currently as an associate advisor.
In 2015 Bryce was asked to become the Lighthouse (Sawgrass) District Eagle Coordinator. Since that time, he has organized and participated in about 200 Eagle Boards of Review.
Last summer and earlier this year, Talk Media interviewed two Eagle Scouts from Tolin’s troop; their community service projects were cleaning up Florida beaches and commissioning a sentry statue to a Margate dog park.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- Events2021.07.23‘We Won’t Pay Rent!’ Teen Cast Prepares for Opening Night of Award-Winning Musical
- Events2021.07.17United Way of Broward County Hopes to Train 300 Volunteers for ‘ReadingPals’ Literacy Program
- Events2021.07.08Coral Springs Middle School Hosts ‘Stallion Stampede’ for Incoming Sixth Graders
- News2021.07.07Compassionate Neighbors Free Huge Iguana Caught in Fence