By Sharon Aron Baron
Qualified residents impacted by COVID-19 will soon be able to apply for rental assistance through Broward County.
The County has allocated $25 million in Federal CARES funding to help residents pay portions of unpaid rent for April, May, June, July, and August 2020. These funds are not a loan and do not have to be paid back.
“Our residents are hurting,” said Broward County Mayor Dale V.C. Holness. “This $25 million rental assistance program can provide much needed financial assistance to many, many families who need our help, and help protect landlords and small businesses who need to collect rents to pay mortgages and other expenses related to property ownership.”
Coral Springs residents may be eligible if they meet the following requirements:
- They are a Broward County resident.
- They or someone in their household experienced a documented loss or reduction in income related to COVID-19.
- Due to the loss of income related to COVID-19, they were unable to pay their rent.
- Their landlord agrees to participate.
Assistance equates to a partial payment of rent. For months one and two of the owed rent amount, the rental assistance program will pay, and the landlord must agree to 75 percent of the amount due.
For months three, four, and five of rent assistance, the program will pay, and the landlord must agree to, 60 percent of the amount due. Late fees, if any, will not be covered by the program.
- Rental lease agreement or Tenant Verification Form, completed by the landlord
- Late notice for past due to rent/eviction notice/past due notification
- Evidence of unemployment or loss of income if self-employed
Once a resident’s application is assigned a case manager, he or she may be asked to supply other documents such as bank statements. Again, consult the website for details on documents that may be required at the time of application.
COVID-19 has impacted many Broward County families in many ways. If you have a loss of income not related to COVID-19 and need help during this difficult pandemic, please visit the Family Success Division website to see what other resources may be available to you.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.