By: Sharon Aron Baron
The 23rd Annual Broward Education Foundation Innovative Teacher IDEA EXPO enabled educators to experience first-hand more than 60 original curriculum projects developed by teachers in Broward County Public Schools and funded through Broward Education Foundation grants.
Presented by Broward Teachers Union, the event held February 8 at Nova Southeastern University was attended by more than 450 Broward County Public School teachers, including 12 teachers and three presenters from Coral Springs.
The innovative projects, designed to engage and motivate students, focused on STEM, social-emotional learning, reading and comprehension, the environment, nutrition, and much more. Educators in attendance received all of the tools needed to bring projects to life.
Following the exhibition, teachers assembled in the arena to hear remarks from Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and keynote speaker U.S. Navy SEAL Sean Rosario (ret.); Jamie Manburg, Associate Dean of the Fischler College of Education at Nova Southeastern University; Broward Education Foundation Board Member Sue Colton; Broward Education Foundation Executive Director Shea Ciriago; Broward County School Board Member Chair Donna Korn; and Dr. Valerie Smith Wanza, Chief School Performance & Accountability Officer for Broward County Public Schools.
In 2018, after responding to the Stoneman Douglas High School tragedy, Broward Education Foundation initiated a GoFundMe, established the official Stoneman Douglas Victims’ Fund, and raised $10.5M for victims’ families, survivors and those impacted.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation