Can’t view the slideshow on your device? Then view it on Flickr
By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Broward Young Democrats held their Annual Awards Banquet on Saturday, and even though the media had a field day with the fact that it was held at Coral Springs Funeral home, the event was alive and well with cocktails, live music, and appearances from some of Broward County’s most prolific politicians.
The event was called “Take Back the Governor’s Mansion” and their mission was to recognize current leaders as well as make a call for action to get others rallied up about November’s Governor’s election.
The special guest speaker was Former Attorney General Bob Butterworth. Butterworth, who is a Democrat, served for four consecutive terms, under Bob Martinez, Lawton Chiles, and Jeb Bush. He is also a Crist supporter and stressed the need to get the turnout as high as possible in this next gubernatorial election.
Democratic Chair Mitch Ceasar made the introductions and elected officials in attendance included: State Representative Katie Edwards; Broward County Commissioners Martin Kiar and Stacy Ritter; Coconut Creek Mayor Lisa Aronson; Parkland Vice Mayor Christine Hunschofsky; Parkland City Commissioner Mark Weissman; and Former Margate City Commissioner Joe Varsallone,
BYD President Michael Friedel was pleased with the turnout and said the proceeds from the event will help target young Democrats that may have voted in the past, but not in a gubernatorial election.
“It was great to see Democrats of all ages come together to support the most important issue we face this November,” said Executive Vice President Cori Varsallone. “It was definitely a success.”
The Broward Young Democrats meet on the second Monday of every month at Maguire’s Hill 16 Irish Pub at 535 N Andrews Ave in Fort Lauderdale at 6 pm. $25 annual dues. $40 for those over 40. Find out more at BYD.org.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsFebruary 22, 2024Black History Month Book Fair Celebrates African American Culture
- EventsFebruary 21, 2024Phi Xi Zeta Chapter Celebrates 16 Years in Coral Springs with Tribute to Police
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Coral Glades Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- EventsFebruary 19, 2024Orchid and Plant Festival Returns to the Sawgrass Nature Center