By: Sharon Aron Baron
One Coral Springs based nonprofit business received the Tribute Award on Wednesday for their efforts on training and employing young adults with intellectual disabilities.
State Representative Jared Moskowitz and the City of Coral Springs recognized ScentsAbility Candles for their commitment, dedication and valuable contribution to training, hiring, retaining and supporting people with intellectual disabilities.
Started in 2008 by Bonnie Schmidt and John Becker for their daughter, Jessica Schmidt, ScentsAbility has 20 young adults in their program where they learn skills such as customer service, point of sale, data entry and workplace conduct.
“At our factory, the 100 percent soy candles are hand-poured and sold by young adults with developmental disabilities, giving these special young adults the confidence and skills to become productive members in the community,” said Bonnie Schmidt. “The manufacturing and sales procedures are modified to match the cognitive and physical abilities of the trainees, so everyone has an opportunity to learn and grow their specific skill set over time.”
ScentsAbility is also a recent recipient of the Platinum Business Award from Career Source Broward.
Their retail store and candle factory is located at 11480 Sample Road in Coral Springs. All candles are 100 percent natural, made of soy wax and essential oils, and available in over 50 scents. For more information go to www.ScentsAbility.org
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts