By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs has produced another star after the Arizona Diamondbacks signed Caleb Roberts in the fifth round of the MLB draft pick.
“This means everything,” Roberts said. “Getting drafted is something I’ve always dreamed of as a kid, and to have it come true is surreal.”
Roberts played high school baseball at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, where he was one of the best players in the state during his senior year.
Roberts then played three years at the University of North Carolina and is coming off his best season as a top hitter in the ACC. Roberts hit ten home runs and drove in 36 runs. Even though he hit only .277, Roberts had a base percentage of .442 courtesy of 44 walks in 55 games.
His journey to starting baseball ironically also began with the Diamondbacks, as it was the name of the first team he ever played on as a kid.
He also credits his family for what they have done.
“They’ve sacrificed so much for me over the years to allow me to play the game of baseball, whether it’s getting me gear, taking me to tournaments, and coming to watch me play in college.
When he is not in school, Roberts, who lives in Coral Springs, has grown a tight bond with his brother Brett, who is currently playing on the Florida State golf team.
Roberts will also join Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ star Gavin Conticello with the Diamondbacks as both players were selected within three rounds of each other. While the two have never met, they are both excited to meet and show off the talent that South Florida has produced in recent years.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.08.01Coral Springs Native Brett Roberts: A Name to Remember
- News2021.07.27J.P. Taravella Pitcher Jack Sinclair Signs First Pro Contract
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft
- News2021.07.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Aidan Minott Reveals College Decision