By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Glades High School in Coral Springs present their annual nominees to the prestigious Miami Herald Silver Knight Awards, one of the nation’s most highly regarded student awards programs.
“This year we have fourteen nominees who have demonstrated leadership, academic excellence and a commitment to serving their community,” said Roxanne Brissett, Social Studies Department Co-Chair.
The purpose of the Silver Knights Award program is to recognize outstanding students who have not only maintained good grades, but have also unselfishly applied their special knowledge and talents to contribute significant service to their schools and communities. The Silver Knight Awards program was instituted at The Miami Herald in 1959 by John S. Knight, past publisher of The Miami Herald, founder and editor emeritus of Knight-Ridder Newspapers and 1968 Pulitzer Prize winner.
According to the Herald, the program is open to high school seniors with a minimum 3.2 GPA (unweighted) in public, private, and parochial schools in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. Students may be nominated in 15 categories: Art, Athletics, Business, Drama, English & Literature, General Scholarship, Journalism, Mathematics, Music and Dance, New Media, Science, Social Science, Speech, Vocational-Technical and World Languages. Each school may nominate one student per category.
The students from Coral Glades will go on to compete against other seniors in Broward County for the award.
Their nominees include:
On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 the Silver Knight Awards Ceremony will be held at the James L. Knight Center, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.04.16President, Governor, Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Indianapolis Victims on April 20
- News2021.04.14Coral Springs Man Catches Unbelievable Video of Meteor
- News2021.04.14J&J Appointment Canceled? Broward Health has a solution
- News2021.04.13City of Coral Springs Live-Streams 33rd Annual National Day of Prayer