By: Jen Russon
After Steven Carruth stepped down, Dr. Mark Kaplan, who was appointed over the summer, is now being welcomed to Coral Glades High School as the newest principal.
Kaplan, who holds a Ph.D. in educational leadership and administration, has worked for Broward County Public Schools for half his life. The 47-year-old began his career in education as a teacher at Olsen Middle School in Dania Beach, and later became assistant principal of Tequesta Middle School in Weston.
Kaplan left his position at Falcon Cove Middle School, also in Weston, after 14 years as principal. At his former school, Kaplan achieved accolades, such as the Media Advocacy Award in 2018 and the Five Star School Award from the Florida Department of Education.
His message to students at Coral Glades High School bears out an exemplary track record.
“In my 15 years as a principal, I have relied on relationships, communication, and a desire to continuously enhance a school in every way possible. Together as a team with a clear vision, we can accomplish greatness at Coral Glades,” he said.
Kaplan received his doctorate from Florida Atlantic University and bachelor’s degree from Florida State in criminology.
Years after earning his criminology degree, Kaplan had an unfortunate brush with the law.
In 2009, while being treated for a sleep disorder, Kaplan was arrested on a domestic battery charge for attempting to choke his wife at the time, Alyson Kaplan, while she slept.
Kaplan’s sleep disorder, parasomnia, was cited as the reason behind the violent act, and charges were dropped in February of 2009.
The principal has said he is embarrassed by the incident that happened nearly ten years ago. The father of two now lives in the Pine Ridge community of Coral Springs with his girlfriend, Lisa.
A meet and greet for the new Principal is scheduled for Wednesday, August 21, at 6 p.m. Coral Glades High School is located at 2700 Sportsplex Drive.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- Events2019.11.21Pre-Thanksgiving Unity Service Brings Residents of All Faiths Together
- Crime & Safety2019.11.18Meetings Will Gauge Public’s Interest in Allowing K9 Units into Schools
- Events2019.11.15Coral Springs Regional Chamber Hosts First Ugly Sweater Party
- News2019.11.14Outgoing City Manager Warmly Welcomes Frank Babinec into New Role