By: Matt Rothman
The soccer season is officially underway, with boys and girls in action while Ali Abdallah raced in Regionals for Coral Glades.
The boys soccer team defeated Coconut Creek High School 5-2 in their opening game, with Marvens Fredric scoring two goals on Monday. Jaden Lloyd, Ian Lemus, and Kendy Villafuerte scored for the Jaguars.
“Great way to start the season against a much improved Coconut Creek High School team, head coach Marc Lyon said. “Our incoming underclassmen played a big part in the win, and we look forward to seeing them develop as the season progresses. “
On Wednesday, Coral Glades followed that up with a 3-1 win over Coral Springs High School. Lucas Bentacur, Jordan Alvarez, and Jayden Lloyd scored goals in the win before winning 6-2 against Pompano Beach on Thursday.
Kendry Villafuerte scored two goals, while Jaden Loyd, Marvens Frederic, Caleb Tomlin, and David Jimenez.
The rest of the Jaguars consist of Jeremy Laidlaw, Hamby Marquez, Fabrizio Boniello, Troy Nickel, Isaias Morfe, Marco Mendez, Yossef Salah El Din, Ziedaar Edwards, Darius Edwards, Jonathon Herrera, Matthew Tabares, Jayden Hernandez, Santiago Sanchez, Kianush Tehrani, Lucca Rabaiotti, James Araujo, Jordan Alvarez, Logan Mir, Yordane Titeo, Damien Maraj, Oscar Perez, Ian Lemus, Kendry Villafuerte, Sebastian Espinosa, and Dane Pryce.
The girls soccer team is coming off a season where they won five games and are 2-0 under first-year Head Coach Ryan Magnuson. He comes over after coaching for nine years at Silver Lakes Middle School.
“We have a very strong team,” Magnuson said. “They are a great group of girls and fantastic student-athletes. They are very receptive to the new coaching. We are looking forward to our three games next week.”
Yasmine Centeno scored a goal and two assists, while Samantha Menard scored and had a helper. Lily Bido, Olivia Menard, Amelie Donahue, Aryanna Marin, Sophia Henriques, Gabriella Guevara, and Briana Brown also found the back of the net, with Kaitlyn Harter pitching a shutout.
They followed that up with a tight 1-0 win over Coral Springs High School on Wednesday to move to 2-0 for the first time since 2020 before settling for a 1-1 draw against Pompano Beach High School. Yasmine Centeno and Menard scored goals for Coral Glades.
Isabella Pericles, Brianna Mendez Ruiz, Asaciah Tyler, Triniti Ferguson, Isabella Fontalvo, Jessi Garvey, Devinn Brown, Victoria Benavente, Catalana Paz, Noel Thomas Brianna Escobar, Carla Barradas, Sabrina Santucci, Kaylani Young, and Hayden Hewitt also play for the girls team.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year