By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Glades High School softball team earned a crucial win to begin their season over Marjory Stoneman Douglas 5-4 on Monday night.
Offensively, the Jaguars were led by Victoria Vilarchao, who had two hits and drove in three runs, including a two-run home run. Lauren Fortunato also went deep as Payton Post and Alyanna McGrath had the two other hits in the game.
Coral Glades took a 2-0 lead in the first inning before trailing 3-2 heading into the sixth. The Jaguars responded with three runs to take a 6-4 lead and held on in the seventh, allowing one run. The Jaguars closed the game out after MSD had the bases loaded and nobody out after a pair of intentional walks.
On the mound, Post made the start and lasted 2.1 innings before Isa Vega came in out of the bullpen and earned the win striking out six in 4.2 innings.
Head Coach Richard Waldorf was incredibly proud of his team and to see three freshmen make an impact and keep their composure against a very talented school.
“I was very proud of the resilience of the entire team,’ said Waldorf. “We got down early against a very tough and talented Douglas team that kept coming at us for seven innings. Nice start to our season.”
Up next, the Jaguars will face Northeast High School in Fort Lauderdale, on Thursday, February 27, at 6:30 p.m. Northeast is 2-1 on the season and is coming off a 28-1 win over Boyd Anderson in their last game.
The Jaguars will have one more road game before they play their home opener on March 3, at 6:30. p.m. against Cardinal Gibbons.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.07Coral Springs Charter Baseball Pulls Out Stunning Win in Extra Innings to Win 1st Regional Game
- News2021.05.06Coral Glades Softball’s Memorable Season Ends in Regionals
- News2021.05.06Godfrey Throws Perfect Game, Strikes Out 20 in Coral Springs Charter Softball Regional Playoff Win
- News2021.05.04Coral Glades Football Team Raises Funds To Visit Top College Programs This Summer