By Sharon Aron Baron
The ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Russell “Russ” Donovan Fire Station #64 took place on October 20 with Coral Springs city leaders and personnel from the Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department in attendance.
The state-of-the-art fire station, located at 600 Ramblewood Drive, covers approximately 8,000 square feet in floor area, features three bays with automatic, bi-fold doors, and offers accommodations for full-time firefighters, including dormitory living facilities, fully equipped working areas, and administrative offices.
Former Coral Springs Volunteer Fire Chief Russell “Russ” Donovan was honored with the naming of the station in recognition of his dedicated service.
Originally known as Fire Station 2, the facility first opened its doors in 1977, with Donovan himself overseeing its operation. Naming the station after him paid tribute to his substantial contributions to the city over the years.
The ceremony had a special moment as Donovan and his wife were presented with a commemorative plaque recognizing his enduring legacy.
Attendees also witnessed public safety personnel symbolically pull the first fire truck into the new bay, and guided tours of the station were offered to the public.
City leaders, including City Manager Frank Babinec, Fire Chief Michael McNally, and Mayor Scott Brook, expressed their gratitude for the new facility during their speeches.
“No one wants to experience an emergency,” said Brook, “But when it happens, our community can rest easy knowing that the responders who operate out of this facility are equipped with the best possible tools to save lives.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsDecember 6, 2023Kevin Hart Adds Second Show at Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- EventsDecember 5, 2023Coral Springs Ushers in Holiday Season with Upcoming Market and Parade
- EventsDecember 5, 2023Coral Springs Outspoken Toastmasters Club Holds Weekly Public Speaking Meeting