By: Matt Rothman
Continuing what has been an incredible season, Coral Springs Charter Softball moved a game closer to another regional championship with a 16-1 over LaBelle for the teams 25th win of the season.
It marks the fifth straight season that the Panthers have reached 25 wins.
It was an offensive clinic Thursday afternoon as the Panthers scored 16 runs in three innings forcing the game to end by the mercy rule.
“It was great offensive approach from our girls today, spraying the ball all over the field, aggressive on the bases, clean defense, and solid in the circle,” said head coach Mark Montimurro. “It was a complete team win.”
CSC hit for a lot of power as Cassidy Crump, Alexis Johnson, and Shannon Doherty all went deep for home runs as well as combining for six of the teams 12 hits. Crump led the team with five runs batted in, which puts her third on the team behind Lindsey Garcia and Doherty.
Sara Berthiaume also had three hits and scored three runs while swiping two bases. CSC stole 11 bases in the three innings with Tatianna Luersen leading the team with four, and Kiara Meikle, Garcia, and Crump stealing four bases between the three of them. The Panthers have now stolen 91 bases in 26 games.
On the mound, Montimurro handed the ball off to freshman sensation Brianna Godfrey. She gave up an unearned run in three innings keeping her ERA at 0.00. Godfrey allowed one hit and struck out six earning her team-leading 12th win of the season.
Up next, the Panthers will play a familiar opponent in Pompano Beach at 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 14. These two teams met twice this season including a little over a week ago in the district’s finals. CSC won that meeting 15-0 and have outscored them 30-0 in the two games with the winner advancing to the regional finals.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Springs Athletes Shine in Wrestling Tournaments and Lacrosse Matches
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Former Coral Springs Charter Pitcher Brianna Godfrey Nearly Perfect in Debut With Maryland