By: Matt Rothman
After an excellent performance in the District Championship, the Coral Springs Charter boys and girls swim team will be sending nine kids to regionals.
The Panthers have Anthony Palumbo from the boy’s team. The girls have eight with Amber Candido, Briana Dattile, Hailey Wells, Sahara Ethridge, Gaby Bautista, Alejandra Gil-Restrepo, Emma Baker and Riley McCormick.
The boys came in eighth place out of ten schools. Palumbo had the top result for the Panthers coming in tenth place in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:08.42 and finished 20th in the 100-yard freestyle.
Hamilton was the top Panther in both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle. He came in 13th and 14th, respectively, while Wizst swam well in a pair of events. CSC also came in seventh in the 200-yard freestyle relay.
For the girls, they had a terrific day finishing in third place. Led by McCormick, who took first place in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 58.99, then came in seventh in the 50-yard free. Gil-Restrepo also came in second in the 200-yard freestyle and fourth in the 500-yard freestyle, one spot behind Candido, who came in third.
“Alejandra is our middle school superstar,” said Head Coach Sheri Wells-Smith. “She is only in eighth grade, but she’s going to move the mountains.”
The Panthers received an eighth-place finish from Baker in one of her events. Next, Coral Springs Charter will compete in regionals at Nova Southeastern University Friday, October 29 at 10 a.m.
“I am hoping my seniors make it to States bringing in their last leg of high school swim,” Coach Wells-Smith added. “At the end of the day, I just want them to do their best and swim their hearts out.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter
- News2022.05.167 Coral Springs Athletes Reach Podium in Track and Field State Championship