By: Matt Rothman
Playing softball since the eighth grade, Berthiaume immediately impacted FAU with a strong year. She credits her coaches and fans for giving her moments she will cherish the rest of her life.
“Although my freshman season turned out to be cut short, it was better than I expected it to be,” she said. ” My team is definitely one of the best teams I have ever been on. We support each other on and off the field.”
Berthiaume started 13 of the 15 games she appeared and hit .317 on the year for FAU. Her best two games came in back-to-back games as she had three hits on February 23rd against LIU and then followed that up with two more hits in her game against Seton Hall. Berthiaume had three of those hits go for triples and scored five runs and driving in three of her eight RBI’s in those two games.
She ended the season as one of six FAU Softball Players to earn C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Medal and was also named to the 2020 Commissioner’s Honor Roll and was a 2020 Owlsley Freshman Team member.
Her high school coach, Mark Montimurro, is not surprised to see her have so much success.
“Sara was one of the most talented, coachable players to come through Charter. She always fared better against elite pitching and was an on-base machine for us. She also saved us a game or two with stellar defense.”
The two continue to talk, and Montimurro is always there to help her with slapping mechanics — a hitting technique — to make sure she’s not getting into any bad habits.
After the shortened 2020 season, Berthiaume should continue to see plenty of playing time entering her sophomore season and is majoring in Health Science.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.172 Freshmen on Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team Throw Combined No-Hitter
- News2021.04.16Andre Barnes 10th Coral Glades Athlete to Commit to College this Year
- News2021.04.16Alex Bruno Makes History for Coral Springs Charter Track and Field
- News2021.04.165 Coral Springs Charter Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College