By: Matt Rothman
Playing softball since the eighth grade, Berthiaume immediately impacted FAU with a strong year. She credits her coaches and fans for giving her moments she will cherish the rest of her life.
“Although my freshman season turned out to be cut short, it was better than I expected it to be,” she said. ” My team is definitely one of the best teams I have ever been on. We support each other on and off the field.”
Berthiaume started 13 of the 15 games she appeared and hit .317 on the year for FAU. Her best two games came in back-to-back games as she had three hits on February 23rd against LIU and then followed that up with two more hits in her game against Seton Hall. Berthiaume had three of those hits go for triples and scored five runs and driving in three of her eight RBI’s in those two games.
She ended the season as one of six FAU Softball Players to earn C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Medal and was also named to the 2020 Commissioner’s Honor Roll and was a 2020 Owlsley Freshman Team member.
Her high school coach, Mark Montimurro, is not surprised to see her have so much success.
“Sara was one of the most talented, coachable players to come through Charter. She always fared better against elite pitching and was an on-base machine for us. She also saved us a game or two with stellar defense.”
The two continue to talk, and Montimurro is always there to help her with slapping mechanics — a hitting technique — to make sure she’s not getting into any bad habits.
After the shortened 2020 season, Berthiaume should continue to see plenty of playing time entering her sophomore season and is majoring in Health Science.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.16Coral Glades Cheerleading Advance to State Finals For 10th Straight Year
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Advance to State Finals
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Win Regionals
- News2021.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Defensive End Nick Dobbs Commits to College