By: Sharon Aron Baron
Governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill on Monday making smokable medical marijuana legal in Florida.
DeSantis tweeted, “Over 70% of Florida voters approved medical marijuana in 2016 and today I signed SB182 “Medical Use of Marijuana” into law. I thank my colleagues in the Legislature for working with me to ensure the will of the voters is upheld.”
Currently, patients can only use medical marijuana orally or topically and the only way it can be inhaled is through special concentrate-filled cartridges – a vaporizer device or special disposable e-cigarettes filled with oil concentrate, which do not emit smoke when used.
In 2016, after medical marijuana was approved in the State of Florida, the Coral Springs city commission immediately voted to put a moratorium on dispensaries just weeks after the election. In 2018, Mayor Skip Campbell and Commissioner Dan Daley’s views on medical marijuana changed, however, they were unable to overturn the moratorium as Commissioners Carter, Cimaglia and Vignola voted to extend it.
Due to pressure from the community, the question of medical marijuana dispensaries was revisited in January at a commission workshop where Chief Perry painted a picture of a future Coral Springs ridden by crime and homelessness if dispensaries were allowed. There was no alternative presentation of what a medical marijuana dispensary looked like, or benefits of medical marijuana to those who needed it.
The first reading to repeal Ordinance 2017-124 in its entirety will be held on Wednesday, March 20, 6:30 p.m. at city hall. Residents may speak publicly for three minutes on the issue. A second hearing will be held on Wednesday, April 3. To sign up to speak in advance fill out the online form here. Public Comments.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2019.08.19Young Chef’s Academy Holds ‘Open House’ in Coral Springs
- Crime & Safety2019.08.19Crash on Sawgrass Expressway Leaves One Victim Dead
- Eat2019.08.19There’s Only a Short Wait Until Five Guys Opening Date
- Crime & Safety2019.08.16Man Arrested in 1983 Coral Springs Sexual Battery Case Thanks to DNA Evidence