By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Springs City Commissioner Dan Daley has agreed to shave his head for a good cause; to raise money for the St. Baldrick’s foundation which funds childhood cancer research grants.
Approached by the Kids of Love Foundation at the August City Commission meeting, the team asked the Mayor and Commissioners to shave their heads to raise money for the cause. They all refused, although they supported the cause.
After that evening, Commissioner Dan Daley said he thought about it after discussing it with a friend, and coming to the realization that children diagnosed with cancer and undergoing treatment usually don’t have a choice about whether their hair stays or goes.
“As one mother I spoke to put it, ‘my son opted to shave what was left so he could feel like he had some semblance of control over it.’ That sealed the deal for me. If I can bring awareness to the cause, then I will feel like I’ve made a small difference,” said Daley.
On September 21, at Mickey Byrne’s Irish Pub in Hollywood, Daley, as well as Coach Gold of Coral Springs High School and others from around Coral Springs will be shaving their head and raising money for the cause.
Kim Slapikas, Director with the Kids of Love Foundation says that all donations to St Baldrick’s goes to help children with cancer, whereas most cancer charities only give a partial amount to helping. Slapikas says that each person who gets their head shaved will be raising money for the charity.
Daley, who has not set any goals as to fundraising for St. Baldrick’s is interested in spreading awareness to the cause.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation