By Sharon Aron Baron
The Florida League of Cities (FLC), the leading representative organization for municipal governments in Florida, has recently honored Coral Springs Commissioners Joshua Simmons and Joy Carter with the prestigious 2023 Home Rule Hero Award.
According to the FLC, the accolade acknowledges their dedication and advocacy efforts during the 2023 Legislative Session, where they tirelessly championed the principles of local governance, safeguarding the Home Rule powers of Florida’s municipalities, and advanced the League’s legislative agenda.
Reflecting on his commitment to the city’s residents, Commissioner Simmons stated, “As a city commissioner, my primary focus is always on what is best for Coral Springs and our community, even if it means diverging from state legislation. I am truly honored to be recognized as a Home Rule Award winner once again this year for my advocacy on behalf of Coral Springs.”
Commissioner Carter emphasized the need for tailored policies that directly benefit the local community: “State and federal policies do not always align with the best interests of Coral Springs because one size does not fit all. That’s why I consistently advocate for ordinances, codes, and initiatives that directly benefit and protect our residents. I am proud to be acknowledged as a Home Rule Hero for my efforts.”
Home Rule refers to a city’s ability to establish its own government structure and enact ordinances, codes, plans, and resolutions without prior approval from the state. The Home Rule Hero Award recognizes local government officials, both elected and non-elected, who consistently respond to the League’s call to engage with legislators and provide a local perspective on relevant issues.
Casey Cook, FLC Chief of Legislative Affairs, said this year’s Home Rule Heroes demonstrated unwavering support for their communities throughout the 2023 Legislative Session.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2023.05.30Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department Makes a Splash with Water Safety Day
- Crime & Safety2023.05.28Broward County Law Enforcement Team Up with Department of Defense for Training Exercises
- Events2023.05.26Coral Springs to Honor Fallen Heroes with Memorial Day Ceremony
- Eat2023.05.25Culinary Gem ‘The Fish Joint’ Set to Dazzle Viewers on Emmy-Winning Travel Series ‘Destination Miami’