By: Sharon Aron Baron
A grand opening will be held for a new state-of-the-art LEEO lab at Coral Springs High School. LEEO stands for Linked Education and Employment Outcomes. The program provides computer instruction and employability skills so students will become technologically proficient as well as acquire the skills necessary to compete in a global society.
The LEEO Lab was an idea that CSHS and Principal Susan Leon came up with after a class field trip to the corporate offices of Citrix Systems.
“We took our students on a field trip to Citrix, so when we got back we wanted to duplicate the look of some of their offices,” said Assistant Principal Michael S. Marhefka.
After much planning and generous donations and assistance from Citrix and JC White Architectural Products, the dream became a reality. The room is equipped with an 80′ smart TV, 2 55′ TVs and one 27′ monitor with wifi connections linking everything so laptop computers can be used to project images and projects to the smart TVs. This will be a room where we can hold meetings with teachers, business partners and community members.
The new look is unlike anything found in a classroom, resembling more like a casual corporate meeting area.
“We wanted to create a collaborative work space where students, teachers and mentors could complete projects and utilize state of the art technology in a setting that didn’t have the traditional classroom feel,” said Marhefka.
He said that the the room was actually a teacher planning area that wasn’t being utilized as their was already one nearby.
One of the components of the LEEO program is that the school collaborates on a project with a school in Dundee, Scotland. Last year, CSHS had three different project with them: a green project, computer gaming project, and an international business and finance project.
“It’s not just for the LEEO students, any teacher can take their class there and do projects there,” said Marhefka. “We have four Smart TVs for projection, internet and research. It’s a multipurpose room where we can also have facility meetings and community partner meetings.”
The Grand Opening Ceremony of the new lab will be held on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event