By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School had a busy day on Wednesday, with their cross country teams competing in Regionals while their soccer team began the season.
The boys cross country team came very close to placing in the top eight positions. They were led by Jeffrey Belizaire, who finished at 17:29.52. Matthew Wykpisz followed two spots behind him. Dimitri Thomas, Matthew Wykpisz, and Magnus Berta achieved times under 20 minutes, while Matthew Campbell and Gonzalo Arce also participated.
The Lady Colts placed 11th, with Angelica Macarulay finishing 32nd at 22:21.89. Gabriella Gentilhomme finished next, followed by Olivia Higgins, Jessica Saint-Amand, Bergyne Darang, Deanna Harris, and Nyla Clinton.
The boys soccer team got their first win via forfeit over Boyd H. Anderson on Monday before falling 3-1 against Coral Glades. The Colts went 7-8 last season and consists of Osamudiame Salami, Angel Castillo, Caio Palhano Samuel Giraldo, Jorge Flores, David LaFleche, Timothy Stamper, Christian Arango, Wesley Dinely, Camden Hulse, Thanakrit Lakieo, Nicolas Morando, David Puello, Lio Eliassaint, Ethan Perez, Jason Martinez, Rohan Edwards, Oscar Benitez, David Certuche, Steven Calcano and Marcus Galindo.
The girls soccer team also won via forfeit over Boyd H. Anderson before their 1-0 loss against Coral Glades. Their team is made up of Abigail Matheis, Andrea Orjuela, Ariana Roman, lsabella Atehortua, Isabella Barlak, Isabela Eloy, Brianna Mcdonald, Dominique Roccia, Eliana Cassara, Emily Black, Emily Morales, Fabiana Villegas Farias, Gabby Castillo, Gabriella Stubblefield, Kayla Hillard, Kaylee Gonzales, Kylie Lum, Luise Pereira, Rosi Castello, Sophie Franklin, Stephanie Calcano, Zoe Myers and Kayla Paradis.
Both teams will play Dillard in their next game on Thursday against Somerset Prep. The girls will play at 5 p.m., with the boys scheduled to start at 7 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year