By David Volz
Coral Springs leaders and residents came together on Veterans Day to honor people who have served in the military.
Mayor Scott Brook praised the veterans for their effort and sacrifice in defense of freedom. “We honor your bravery and sacrifice that you have made for our country. We need to say thank you for your service,” he said.
Commissioner Joshua Simmons said people can never thank veterans enough for their service.
Commander Tom Melville was the keynote speaker. A retired Naval Reserve veteran, he had a long career in the Navy.
Active in the local veteran community and the Navy League, Melville spoke on the need to honor and care for veterans and also discussed the efforts of the Navy not just in fighting wars but in caring for disaster victims around the world. He remarked how the Navy has two large hospital ships that have provided care for people who have faced major natural disasters such as earthquakes.
After the main speakers, each veteran was given the opportunity to provide their name and share their military experience. There were veterans, old and young, present. Some of the older veterans served in the Vietnam War.
The Coral Springs Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol presented the colors and laid the wreath. The Coral Springs Children’s Choir sang the National Anthem. The Coral Springs Police Honor Guard offered taps and a salute volley.
- David Volz has worked as a writer in South Florida for 35 years. He has written for the Sun-Sentinel, Hollywood Gazette, School Transportation News, South Dade News Leaders, Observer among others. He has an MA in Communications from Florida Atlantic University and a BA in Communications from Valparaiso University. Volz teaches Communications at Miami Dade College and Palm Beach State College. He lives in Coral Springs and enjoys running and participating in 5Ks and half-marathons.
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Ramblewood Middle School Girls’ Basketball Team Qualifies for Semi-Final Game
- EventsDecember 5, 2023Artistic Autism Fundraiser Takes Place at Wings Plus in Coral Springs Dec. 16
- EventsNovember 26, 2023Coral Springs-Parkland Democratic Club Holds Annual Holiday Party
- NewsNovember 22, 2023Interfaith Unity Service in Coral Springs Celebrates Religious Tolerance and Thanksgiving