By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Springs High School students can jump-start their careers by enrolling in two innovative programs in partnership with the City of Coral Springs Fire Department.
Not only can students sign up for the Fire Academy Innovative Program, now they can enroll for the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Program.
Coral Springs High School is the only high school in the city to offer these programs, not only that, they were the first in the district and one of the first in the state where both Assistant Principal’s John Murphy and Pamela Voss oversee them.
“Our Fire Academy Program is run by the Coral Springs Fire Academy Instructors on our campus,” said Voss. “Our students get a jump-start by having the opportunity to begin the fire fighter program in the 9th grade and once they graduate, they complete a short bridge program with the CSFA for final certification. “
Voss said that the EMT program begins in their junior year.
“This will be our 2nd year with the Fire Academy Program and we will begin our EMT program for the first time this fall,” said Voss.
The Fire Academy Program is one of four innovative programs at Coral Springs High School. Their Quantum Leap and Dual Enrollment Programs are designed to provide our highest achieving students college level academics while still in high school. Many of these students graduate with a year to a year and half of college credit.
To be in the Fire Academy Program, participating students must maintain a 2.5 grade point average, have excellent attendance records, and have no disciplinary history; these criteria alone set a standard of excellence not just for academics but also for citizenship. Governor Rick Scott has even publicly recognized the Fire Academy and its impact on the community as well as its potential contribution to Florida’s job force.
“Our goal is to prepare students to compete globally for colleges and careers by providing an intellectually challenging and highly engaging learning environment for all students at all levels,” said Voss.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive
- News2020.09.14Service Hours Offered for Students at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution
- News2020.09.13Battery, Burglary, and Baker Acts, Reported by Coral Springs Police