By: Sharon Aron Baron
Back in 2004 when Coral Glades High School was built, funds that were to be used to build an auditorium had to be used for classrooms instead.
Fast forward ten years later, and the school still does not have an auditorium, however, despite this, Coral Glades High School receives many awards in drama including superior ratings at the Florida State Thespian Festival One Act Competition, a South Florida Cappie Award for Best Ensemble in a Play, and last year they created their own outdoor amphitheater.
Not having an auditorium makes it much more expensive for Coral Glades High School drama department to put on a production, because they need to budget the rental of items that other schools don’t need to worry about such as chairs, microphones, lights, light boards, sound boards, and curtains. The costs stack up to $3,000 before a costume, prop, or scenery item is purchased. These items would be provided if the school had an auditorium.
Drama Teacher Kristina Johnson is overseeing the effort to help raise funds for permanent items they typically have to rent each time they have a production. Equipment that is usually found in other high school theaters like microphones, lights, light board, sound board, curtains, light trees, seats and speakers.
They have started a fundraiser page on the website Indiegogo that is open from now until May 10, where anyone can contribute funds towards the equipment. Their goal is to raise $3,000, and so far they are almost halfway there. For those that do donate certain amounts, they will receive recognition on their playbills, tickets to their plays, and t-shirts.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26
- News2021.06.18Broward County Public Schools Offer 39 Covid Vaccination Sites for Students 12 and Older
- Events2021.06.15Construction Alert: Riverside Drive Street Upgrades Begin June 21
- Events2021.06.14TICKET ALERT: Comedian Whitney Cummings Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts