Seven Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) students including four from Coral Springs schools are among the 2,500 winners of National Merit Scholarships financed by U.S. colleges and universities announced today by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Officials of each sponsor college selected their scholarship winners from among the finalists in the 2012 National Merit Scholarship Program who plan to attend their institution. The awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate student at the institution financing the scholarship. An additional group of Scholars will be announced in July, bringing the total number of college-sponsored Merit Scholarship recipients in the 2012 competition to approximately 4,800.
College-sponsored Merit Scholarship winners announced today are part of the distinguished group of about 8,300 high school seniors who will receive National Merit Scholarships. Earlier this spring, winners of corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards and National Merit $2,500 Scholarships were announced.
BCPS scholarship winners, their home schools and probable career fields include:
Megan Brewster, J.P. Taravella High School – Occupational Therapy
Ameen A. Mettawa, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – Law
Zachary Zbar, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – Business
Sarah A. Franks, Pompano Beach High School – Veterinary Medicine
Taimoor A. Khan, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – Medicine
Michael P. Kemerer, Plantation High School – Chemistry
Nicole J. Wood, South Plantation High School – Medicine
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Crime & Safety2021.03.05No Injuries Reported After Firefighters Quickly Put Out Fire in Coral Springs Home
- Events2021.03.05Next Stop Broadway is Back with Singing, Dancing, and Acting Classes March – May 2021
- Events2021.03.04Coral Springs Residents May Qualify for Free Tax Help Through Broward Tax Pro
- News2021.03.03School Duel Features Coral Glades High School in Quiz Show