By: Sharon Aron Baron
A Coral Springs man who has applied to BSO for employment 14 times but never hired, was arrested for performing traffic stops last Friday in Broward and Palm Beach counties while posing as a BSO employee said Broward Sheriff’s Office Public Corruption Unit detectives.
On June 6, Tiago Monteiro 23, who resides on the 2500 block of Riverside Drive, was driving a dark Volvo and pulled over a car with a teen driver and two teen passengers near 400 N. Federal Hwy. Monteiro felt the teenage girl had cut him off. He stopped his car in front of hers, walked up to her car and ordered her to roll down her window. The victim said he acted with authority and quickly flashed an ID in a lanyard. He told the victim that he worked for BSO and asked to see her license and registration. After reviewing her documents, Monteiro told her he would let her go with a warning.
Hours later the impersonator pulled over a second victim. This time it was an adult man in Boca Raton. He told the victim that he was a BSO detention technician and flashed a work ID from a telemarketing job. Again Monteiro asked to see the victim’s license and registration, and again he told the victim he could go with a warning. The driver was suspicious and used his mobile phone to take photos of Monteiro, the Volvo and the tag.
Both incidents were reported to BSO. Public Corruption Unit detectives arrested Tiago Monteiro Friday morning at his home in Coral Springs. He admitted to performing the fake traffic stops and stated he was targeting drivers whom he felt should not be behind the wheel. Monteiro had no police lights in his car, no weapon and no BSO identification. He is facing charges of impersonating an officer and false imprisonment.
Monteiro has never been employed by BSO but applied 14 times, most recently on March 30, 2012. Monteiro has a history of mental health issues.
Although the suspect says he only did this that day, detectives are looking for additional victims of this BSO impersonator. Anyone who’s been a victim of Monteiro or anyone with additional information is asked to contact BSO Detective Joshua Webb at 954-321-1100 or Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’
- News2020.09.22MD NOW in Coral Springs Now Offering Free Flu Shots
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee