By: Sharon Aron Baron
A Coral Springs resident died on Tuesday night as a result of a single car accident that evening.
It all started when Coral Springs police responded to the Coral Springs Estates Condominiums in reference to a violent domestic altercation around 7:15 pm. As officers arrived, they were informed that the suspect, Joel Matias, 36 of Coral Springs was involved in a physical altercation with two other men at the location.
During the altercation, Matias pushed a pregnant female to the ground causing injuries. Officers were informed that Matias fled the scene in a green, 4 door Toyota Corolla prior to their arrival. Officers located the vehicle traveling east on Sample Road at approximately the 7900 block. As they attempted to stop the vehicle, Matias fled at a high rate of speed.
Officers attempted to catch up to Matias but lost sight of him at Rock Island Road and Sample Road. As officers approached Turtle Run Blvd., they found Matias’ vehicle off the roadway, in a grassy area up against a tree on the south side of Sample Road just east of the intersection.
Matias was transported to Broward Health North where he was pronounced dead. The pregnant female was transported to Broward Health Coral Springs.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.05.19J.P. Taravella Drama Awarded 4 Cappies
- Crime & Safety2022.05.192 Coral Springs-Parkland First Responders Named Paramedics of the Year
- News2022.05.192nd Annual King of Coral Springs Chess Tournament Held May 21
- News2022.05.17Moody’s Upgrades Outlook For Broward Health From Stable to Positive