By Kevin Deutsch
A Coral Springs woman pulled a Houdini act following her arrest for strongarm robbery, nearly freeing herself from handcuffs and later escaping a restraint chair while in a holding cell, police said.
Veronica Wilson, 27, allegedly tried her escapist feats on July 30 after robbing a Marathon gas station at 2290 Coral Springs Drive. According to an arrest affidavit filed by Coral Springs Police, Wilson allegedly stole a bill of unknown denomination, a writing pen, and cigarettes after threatening to shoot a store employee.
According to police, Wilson had also committed a burglary and retail theft a half-hour earlier at Walgreens, 10350 Royal Palm Blvd. The store declined to prosecute.
After her arrest outside Marathon, authorities took Wilson to Broward Health Coral Springs, where she was medically cleared for a trip to jail, police said.
Later, while in the backseat of a police patrol car, she “managed to slip a handcuff” and open the car door, the affidavit states.
“Veronica then attempted to run away where she was subsequently detained by CSPD officers,” wrote Coral Springs Police Officer Brooke Garner.
Police tacked on a charge of obstructing an officer and took Wilson to a holding cell in police headquarters, where she again worked to free herself, records show.
“Due to Veronica’s violent and self-destructive behavior, she was placed in a restraint chair” at the direction of a sergeant, Garner wrote. “Veronica also escaped the restraint chair and was seen standing on the chair in the cell.”
Wilson was taken to the Broward Main Jail and charged with robbery and obstructing an officer without violence. She was released after posting a $5,500 bond, records show.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.05.19“A Growing Threat”: Rep. Deutch Applauds Passage of Resolution Condemning Rising Antisemitism
- News2022.05.16COVID Infection Totals Rising In Broward Schools
- Eat2022.05.14Coral Springs Restaurants Suffer Revenue Losses Amid Gas Outage
- News2022.05.13Coral Springs Crime Update: $472K Fraud Using False Pretense