By Sharon Aron Baron
This historic photo of Coral Springs’ covered bridge was taken around 1965 by Russ Cagle, an early city pioneer.
His daughter Kathy Cagle Oliver, who permitted us to use the photo, said Russ worked for the late James S. Hunt, president of Coral Ridge Properties, and was a volunteer firefighter for Coral Springs. After his untimely death in 1977, the West Side Fire Station was dedicated to her father’s memory.
Kathy recalls how her family visited every weekend from Fort Lauderdale, watching their home being built in the Windings. After they moved in November of 1965, their next-door neighbor would be Lewie Mullin, vice president of Coral Ridge Properties.
Mullin built the covered bridge in 1964 and the Museum of Coral Springs History. He was the first elected mayor in 1968, and Mullins Park was named after him.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.17Nominate an Outstanding Coral Springs Business for a 2021 Excellence Award
- News2021.01.17Parkland Couple Builds Facebook Community for COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- News2021.01.17Dr. John W. Ruffin Posthumously Named Martin Luther King Jr Monument Award Winner
- News2021.01.16Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Applications Open to 5 High Schools