By: Sharon Aron Baron
Local North Broward Preparatory School student and Coral Springs resident, Jordan Paurowski, secured her spot to compete in the national high school debate tournament, the 2014 “Tournament of Champions” in April.
With a first place win at the 2014 Cypress Tradition Speech and Debate Tournament in the Original Oratory Event with a 10-minute speech about personal passion that is connected to a greater societal issue, Paurowski’s spot was firmly in place. This was a speech that is delivered without notes and is judged on performance against other competitors.
A senior from Coral Springs who lives in Venetian Isles with her parents Mindy and Jon, Jordan got the debate bug after taking the class for the first time in eighth grade.
“Participating in debate has helped me with everything, in so many ways,” she said. “I now look at discussions or arguments in class and see all perspectives. I am very active in theatre, and speech and debate has also made me a better performer.”
Jordan says that she plans to pursue a degree in psychology and one day become a brain surgeon.
“Debate encourages deep analysis of the topic at hand and students clearly see the value of mastering critical thinking skill,” said Cale Halley, M.A., Director of Debate at North Broward Prep.
The Speech and Debate team at North Broward Prep is coming out of a rebuilding period and quickly developing a formidable squad that competes in the largest and most competitive district in the country for Speech and Debate competitions.
At the end of January, the debate team will travel to Emory University for the Barkley Forum tournament, followed by the Harvard Invitational Tournament in February 2015 before the Tournament of Champions event in April at the University of Kentucky.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.01.17Celebrating 10 Years: Winner’s Name Drawn for $150 Gift Card Giveaway
- News2022.01.17Free Food Distribution Held on Jan. 19 at Chabad of Coral Springs
- Events2022.01.16Winner Chosen for 4 Free Tickets to ‘World’s Largest Bounce House’
- Crime & Safety2022.01.14Coral Springs-Parkland Firefighter Who Battled Cancer Laid to Rest