By: Sharon Aron Baron
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will be holding A Day of Service and Love on February 14 as a day to give back to the community in honor of the school’s 17 fallen eagles who were killed one year ago.
School hours will be from 7:40 a.m. until noon, during which time students can take part in service projects including serving breakfast to local first responders and packing meals for undernourished children.
According to Broward Schools, at 10:17 a.m., the entire district, the community-at-large, and everyone in Broward County and beyond will be asked to observe a moment of silence to honor those whose lives were lost and recognize those injured during the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre.
At Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14:
- Students will begin projects at 7:40 a.m. and will dismiss at 11:40 a.m. The school will close at noon.
- Busses will be provided.
- District staff and community partners will provide service-learning activities alongside MSD staff.
- Mental health staff will be available and the Wellness Center, located on the school’s campus, will be open.
- Therapy dogs will be available.
- BCPS Technical Colleges will provide Services with Love to staff and students, including but not limited to manicures, massages, and healthy cooking demonstrations.
At other Broward County Public Schools:
- Schools will remain open on February 14, 2019.
- Schools are encouraged to participate in “A Day of Service and Love” and engage students in school-based activities that serve others within their schools or local community. Specific activities will vary per school.
- The district is providing guidance to school leaders regarding the one-year Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School commemoration.
- The entire district will observe a moment of silence at 10:17 a.m.
Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs, Parkland and the rest of South Florida.