By: Sharon Aron Baron
After leading teachers and students through a tumultuous year and a half after the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Principal Ty Thompson announced that he will be stepping down.
He told parents and students in a message on Friday:
“Many have asked over the last 15 months: How I’m able to stay so strong. It’s been challenging, but I always remained as positive as possible and did what I felt was in the best interest of the students and staff. Advisors and fellow colleagues always said take care of yourself. If at any point you feel like it is affecting your family or your health you need to make a change.
That time has come.
I wanted to stay and see this through but I just can’t continue at this pace. My decision was not an easy one. The district is supporting me so I can step away from my position at MSD. I will be here for the remainder of the school year (including graduation), and will be sure to do everything I can to leave the school in the best shape possible for the next Principal.
This is not goodbye, you will still see me around. While I will no longer be the leader at MSD, I will continue to support the Eagle Nation, as I will always be positive, passionate, and forever proud to be an Eagle.”
In March 2018, co-principal Teresa Hall was appointed to perform the day-to-day duties at the school. In March 2019, Thompson was under investigation and relieved of his duties, however during that time, Superintendent Runcie said he would stay on at the school to “maintain consistency for students, families and staff”.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs
- News2021.10.14Coral Springs ‘Taps’ into Bavarian Culture with Amazing Oktoberfest Celebration