By: Sharon Aron Baron
Long-time volunteer and former school board candidate Robert “Bob” Mayersohn won a seat on the Parkland City Commission on Thursday after no one else qualified.
At 12 p.m. he became the winner of the district four seat after the four day long qualifying period. The seat, currently held by Mark Weissman, is open due him being term-limited. On June 24, we reported that Mark’s wife, Roberta, qualified during the official period, however, she later dropped out which made the city open a special qualifying period this week, which was open to interested candidates.
Mayersohn has been a candidate three different times for school board in district four which covers Coral Springs, Parkland and parts of Margate and Tamarac. Once in 2010, 2012, and 2014. This is the first time he has been a candidate for a commission position – and the first time he has won a political seat.
Deputy Vice Mayor Dave Rosenof said that he met Mayersohn through his son Garrett, and then through his involvement with Parkland Buddies Sports where Mayersohn is the co-founder and president of the nonprofit organization for children with physical and mental disabilities.
“Bob has been a tireless advocate for education, the special needs community and the City of Parkland as a whole,” he said. “I’m confident he will bring his passion, thoroughness and great judgement, to benefit our community.”
A past chair of the Broward County School Parent ESE Advisory Council, he is 1st Vice President of the Broward County Council of PTA’s/PTSA’s and serves as the Chair of the City of Parkland Education Advisory Board.
Mayersohn was a founding member of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas PTSA, and is a past member of the City of Parkland Planning & Zoning Board.
Mayersohn’s term starts in November.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.30New Covid-19 Testing Site in Coral Springs Offers 2 Types of Detection
- News2020.11.29Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.29Popular ‘Bethlehem Revisited’ Event Canceled Due to Covid-19
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1