By: Sharon Aron Baron
As we wrap up our 50th Anniversary celebrations this year, there is still so much of Coral Springs to discover and remember.
It’s hard to believe that a couple of generations have grown up in this city and attended our schools, and now many of their children are growing up here as well.
As a teenager living in Coral Springs from 1979 to 1985, Steven Martin took up photography. During this time, Martin captured many fascinating images of our residents and has posted them online where they have received thousands of views.
“I was in my late teens and early 20s at the time, so many of my subjects, as you can see from my Flickr site, were of fellow teens and kids that lived around me,” said Martin.
What’s so unique are the quality of the photos and how they clearly show the fashion trends from 30 years ago.
Having graduated from high school before moving here with his family, Martin lived close to Coral Springs High School where his sister attended. He went to Broward Community College and eventually moved to Lake Worth in 1985 to be closer to his job at Motorola.
Currently living in Texas, Martin has lost contact with those that he shot in the photos. He has visited Coral Springs several times, once where he visited a festival in the early 1990’s which also can be seen on Flickr.
Whether or not you have grown up here, you’ll find these images a fascinating look back into our past.
If you would like to see more photos by Steven Martin, please visit him on Flickr: StevenM_61.
Do you have old photos you would like to share of your home, school or family life back in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s? Then send them to Coral Springs Talk.
This article was originally printed in June 2012
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation