By: Sharon Aron Baron
Two pedestrians that were struck by a car on North University Drive in Coral Springs on Friday night leaving one dead and another on life support have been identified as well as the driver of the car.
At approximately 9:08 p.m, Coral Springs police responded to the 2400 block of N. University Drive in reference to reports of a two pedestrians being struck by a vehicle. Upon arrival, officers discovered two individuals, Jose Gutierrez, 22 and Tyler Sanders-Nielsen, 20, both of Coral Springs lying on the roadway. Also on scene, officers observed the vehicle that struck them, a 4-door Silver Mazda operated by James Mulhearn, 42 also of Coral Springs.
Preliminary investigation has revealed that Mulhearn was traveling south on N. University Drive, approaching Royal Palm Blvd as Gutierrez and Sanders-Nielsen attempted to cross mid-block along the roadway. Mulhearn’s vehicle struck the men, causing them to land on opposite sides of N. University Drive. Gutierrez was pronounced deceased on scene. Sanders-Nielsen was air lifted to Broward Health North with life threatening injuries. Mulhearn did not suffer any injuries as a result of the accident.
Any charges as a result of the accident will be pending outcome of completed investigation.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Coral Springs Police Department, Traffic Homicide Investigator Derek Fernandes at 954-346-1754.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.02.24Coral Springs Teen Among Elite Group of Students Named to Philanthropy Tank Class of 2021
- News2021.02.23CVS Will Offer COVID-19 Vaccinations Said Gov DeSantis
- Events2021.02.23Girl Scout Cookie Sales Are Here: Coral Springs Locations February 26-28
- Events2021.02.23Relay For Life Seeks Youth Performers for Fundraising Talent Show