By: Jen Russon
Families interested in sending their children to Coral Springs Charter School are being welcomed on campus this winter to learn more about the 20-year-old school.
Serving approximately 1,610 6th through 12 graders with a low student to teacher ratio, the A-rated school is notorious for its long waiting list, and a recent call to the admissions office confirmed 2,366 students are already on it from the last lottery. However, sixth graders are not waitlisted.
Chances of being one of the new students invited to attend CSCS are better for those who are current residents of Coral Springs or have a sibling who already attends the school. Preference will also be given to students who are the children of Charter Schools USA employees, and active-duty military. All others must apply for the lottery.
While CSCS is managed by Charter Schools USA, the city of Coral Springs holds the charter, and, as an example of city government and private enterprise working together, have transformed what was once a mall into a 147,000 square foot education facility that sits adjacent to the Northwest Regional branch of the Broward County Public Library.
In 2017, the city proposed moving the charter school to Betti Stradling Park, however, that was met with resistance by Coral Springs residents. Last year, the city proposed a new location at Mullins Park.
Open House Information
School tours conducted on January 14 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. will show off multiple science labs, computer labs, music and art rooms, a weight training room, gymnasium, cafeteria, over 85 classrooms, as well as a new fine arts wing featuring a 300-person auditorium.
Open enrollment for the 2020-21 school year begins on January 13 and runs through February 14. The school is located at 3205 North University Drive.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2020.11.192 Coral Springs Charter School Students Selected for Florida All-State Honor Band
- News2020.11.17J.P. Taravella Graduate Represents Coral Springs in Miss Florida Teen USA Competition
- News2020.11.14Coral Springs Eagle Scout Dedicates WWII Sentry Dog Statue that Belonged to Late Grandfather
- News2020.11.12Precautions in Place for Pre-Thanksgiving Unity Service November 24