By: Sharon Aron Baron
A walk will be held on Sunday dedicated to the local firefighters who have lost their lives battling illnesses as well as the hundreds of other local emergency service professionals that make the sacrifice for the community every day.
On Sunday May 19, the City of Coral Springs Police and Fire Department will be hosting the “My Brothers’ Burden Walk”. Led by retired Firefighter Tom “Bull” Hill, the walk was started to raise awareness for illnesses caused by working in the emergency services profession.
Hill’s awareness has also spread to the damaging effects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the lives that have been taken as these emergency services personnel have been unable to cope with what they experience during the performance of their duties. Hill chose this date to honor the First Responders of Marjory Stoneman Douglas and will walk along with members of police, fire, and dispatchers from throughout the country.
The event will start at 11:00 a.m. and will be preceded by an introduction by Hill at Station 80 to explain the purpose of the walk and help spread awareness. Upon completion of Hill’s presentation, participants of the event will walk northbound on Coral Springs Drive – escorted by Coral Springs PD/Fire to Marjory Douglas High School in Parkland and will return southbound to Coral Springs Fire Station 80.
Coral Springs Fire Department Station 80 is located at 2825 Coral Springs Drive.
Additional information concerning Tom “Bull” Hill and “My Brothers’ Burden Walk” can be found by visiting www.carryingmybrothersburden.com.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2019.09.17Students Can Earn Service Hours at 34th Annual International Coastal Cleanup
- Crime & Safety2019.09.16Coral Springs Weekly Crime Update Through September 9
- News2019.09.16Coral Springs Resident Dies in Workplace Accident
- Crime & Safety2019.09.16Man Sentenced to Prison After Molesting Children at Coral Springs Gymnastics Studio