By: Sharon Aron Baron
The race for Seat 5 for Coral Springs City Commission has three qualified candidates on November’s ballot: Joy Carter, Andy Holz and Laurette Homan.
Joy Carter, is a 29-year resident of the city and works as a realtor at Keller Williams. She is also a volunteer and leader with the Coral Springs Festival of the Arts and the 50th Anniversary Committee. Carter is also actively involved with the Coral Springs Chamber of Commerce where she not only has led every committee, but has served as Chair of the organization.
Carter says she still loves being a community volunteer, However, at this point in her life, she wants a larger platform, to continue to give back, to nurture and to guide and to listen, and to be able to do more for the people who also enjoy living in the City of Coral Springs as much as she does.
Major Endorsements: Lori Parrish, Broward County Property Appraiser, Coral Springs City Commissioner Claudette Bruck, The Hispanic Vote Political Action Committee.
Andy Holz has lived in Coral Springs for 17 years both as a student, and now as a married father of two children. Besides being a teacher, he also has a law degree from Nova University and is currently a member of the Florida Bar.
Holz believes there are two major things that the city needs to address better: over-taxing businesses and individuals, and the high expense of the proposed city hall.
Major Endorsements: none published at press time.
Laurette Homan, who has been the owner of Hilton Insurance Services in Coral Springs for 17 years, was born in Coral Springs where both herself and her husband graduated from Coral Springs High School. They are raising two daughters who both attend Broward County Public Schools.
Homan says she is fully vested and passionate about the city and offers three things as a candidate, “A woman’s perspective, a business owners perspective, and a mother’s perspective.”
Major Endorsements: Coral Springs Mayor Vince Boccard, Commissioner Dan Daley, Commissioner Larry Vignola, Commissioner Tom Powers, Metro Broward Professional Firefighters (IAFF 3080).
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsFebruary 25, 2024American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life Taking Place in Coral Springs
- EventsFebruary 22, 2024Black History Month Book Fair Celebrates African American Culture
- EventsFebruary 21, 2024Phi Xi Zeta Chapter Celebrates 16 Years in Coral Springs with Tribute to Police
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Coral Glades Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher