By: Sharon Aron Baron
Former Mayor Roy Gold has pulled out of the race for mayor of Coral Springs the city clerk has confirmed this afternoon.
Gold, who was the mayor of Coral springs from 2010 to 2012, is responsible for creating the Teen Political forum as vice mayor, which has been a fixture in the city since its inception in 2007. He also was a leader with South Florida’s Annual Broward Waterway Cleanup program that he has been involved in for over 18 years.
This morning I went to City Hall, to the City Clerk’s office to withdraw my name from the race for Mayor of Coral Springs. I thank everyone for the overwhelming support I have received.” – Roy Gold wrote to supporters.
While Gold was mayor, he was insistent on building a new city hall, however the commission voted no. Once Gold was term-limited in 2012, it suddenly became a good idea. Currently the mayor and commission are moving forward with a new city hall costing upwards of $28 million dollars.
With Gold leaving the race, this leaves City Commissioner Tom Powers as the only candidate, however, not the declared winner yet. According to Sec. 6-15 Vacancy in Candidacy in Coral Springs City Ordinances, it says that if a candidate withdrawals from the ballot after qualifying at least 45 days before the election, the qualifying period for office shall be reopened once again.
Since Powers has already qualified would not have to pay a second qualifying fee.
The ordinance says that any remaining candidate shall not be declared an unopposed candidate unless no additional candidate qualifies for election during the supplemental qualifying period. Any remaining candidate may continue to accept contributions until he is declared unopposed.
If no one decides to run, and Powers is declared unopposed after the new qualifying period, he will be elected unopposed.
“It would have been great to have candidates to have to actually run for office, and not be elected because of default,” said candidate for city commission Howard Melamed.
“Certainly Roy has done enough for this city and we should respect his decision.”
Interested in running for mayor? Stay tuned for new qualifying dates.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’
- News2020.09.22MD NOW in Coral Springs Now Offering Free Flu Shots
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee