By Sharon Aron Baron
One Coral Springs resident has been awarded the prestigous Fulbright Scholarship where competitively selected citizens become eligible to study, conduct research, or exercise their talents abroad.
Rachel Bogdan, who grew up in Eagle Trace, chose to study in Taiwan, and will join other individuals participating in U.S. Department of State exchange programs each year where they will live around the world.
Rachel first studied abroad in Shanghai in the fall of 2012, and wanted to learn more about the politics, culture, and history of the People’s Republic of China and other East Asian countries. After studying Mandarin for two years, she hopes to work towards fluency while in Taiwan.
“I am excited to be immersed in the culture and daily lives of the people of Taiwan, and look forward to learning more about Taiwan’s unique history and current relationship with the People’s Republic of China,” said Rachel.
Rachel is currently participating in a summer language program in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan until she begins her Fulbright grant in Taitung, Taiwan in August. She will stay in the country until June 2015.
The Fulbright U.S. student program began in 1948, and aims at promoting mutual understanding between Americans and other nations.
Rachel’s parents are Matthew Bogdan and Valerie Evans. She attended St. Andrew’s Middle School in Coral Springs and Cardinal Gibbons High School in Fort Lauderdale.
She just graduated in May 2014 from Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida majoring in International Relations with a minor in Asian Studies, and is one of eight other students from the school that were awarded Fulbright Scholarships.
Rachel, who is delaying entering law school for a year to complete the Fulbright Scholarship said, “I am honored to be a Fulbright scholar, and am so grateful for the opportunities it offers. Being a cultural ambassador will be an enriching and unique experience that will complement my future studies in international law.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts