By: Matt Rothman
For the second time in school history, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas hockey team won the State Championship following their 8-2 win last Sunday.
It has been a tremendous season for the Eagles as they went 14-5-1 in the regular season. Despite not winning districts, MSD advanced to states where they beat three teams in the Lightning Division consisting of teams from Tampa Bay Area.
After that, they advanced to the final four, where they won against North Broward Preparatory School for the first time all season, 2-1, and then East Lake 8-2.
Head Coach Eric LaForge, along with Assistant Coaches John and Jim Greer, could not be prouder of the accomplishments of their team.
“We set a team goal at the beginning of the season to win the Florida State Championship,” said LaForge. “The team stayed focused on that goal and played their hearts out. It was a total team effort, and I am happy to say mission accomplished.”
Offensively, the team was led by a trio of forwards in John Brace, Dominic Safonte, and Justin Colton. They also received spectacular goaltending from Blake Valli and solid defense throughout the tournament.
Up next, on March 26-30, the team will be heading to Mansfield, Texas, to play in Nationals.
The Parkland team practices at Florida Panthers IceDen in Coral Springs and had two games at the BB&T Center.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.08.01Coral Springs Native Brett Roberts: A Name to Remember
- News2021.07.27J.P. Taravella Pitcher Jack Sinclair Signs First Pro Contract
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft
- News2021.07.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Aidan Minott Reveals College Decision