By Jill Fox
In its third year, the Chris Hixon Memorial Run raised $40,000 in his honor, and his wife, Debbi, said it warmed her heart to see that people are still remembering Chris and honoring his legacy.
This year, Debbi said it was very different because the event was virtual.
“Our goal was to have 300 participants, which was half as many as last year, but we had 523, which was amazing,” she said.
All proceeds from the 5k support the Chris Hixon Athletic Scholarship Foundation, which awards scholarships to three students from each of the schools where Hixon worked during his career spanning over 20 years: Blanche Ely High School in Pompano Beach, South Broward High School in Hollywood, and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School athletic director was among the 17 innocent victims killed in the shooting on February 14, 2018.
New this year, the foundation plans to add a fourth countywide scholarship for a student who exemplifies what Chris was — a scholar-athlete.
“We look for someone with great character, not necessarily the highest GPA, but someone who is athletic and good to the community,” said Debbi, who has an alternate goal of growing each of the $2500 student scholarships to continue through all four years of college.
For the third year in a row, South Broward High School won $500 for having the most participation in the 5k — 131 students. Falcon Cove won $250 for the most middle school participation with 13 students.
“Chris was always about competition, so we like to encourage that between schools,” said Debbi.
Students can apply for the scholarships here. Next year’s run will be held on February 19, 2022.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.07.27Local Family Raises $7,000 Selling Watermelon for a Great Cause
- Events2021.07.26Former Coral Springs Softball Player Forms New Girls’ 12U Team
- Events2021.07.25Jewish Culture Organization Opens Headquarters In Coral Springs
- Events2021.06.28Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels