By: Matt Rothman
It was another night of rivalry games this week in Coral Springs, with Coral Glades taking on J.P. Taravella on Tuesday before senior night on Wednesday.
“On Monday, hands down, we had our best practice of the year, and it led to a big win over Taravella last night,” Head Coach Stefan Whittingham said. “I am so proud of my guys, and we are looking to finish the season out in a very similar fashion to last year.”
Anthony Valdes and Tahir Bond led the way with their play on offense and defense, but Whittingham was equally as impressed with Donovan Reed and Ali Atalla, who brought the defensive toughness that doesn’t show in the box score.
The boys basketball team then held Senior Night on Wednesday, honoring Bond, David Darling, and Dylan Burrowes before their 72-44 win over Chaminade Maddona High School, with the seniors combining for 26 points.
Whittingham says it was extremely special to win on Senior Night as these were the first group of kids to believe in him. He also had the chance to coach a few with his travel organization, Triple Double Tarheels.
“For my guys to be able to pull off such a big win last night, it shows that me not sacrificing wins for culture was the right decision,” Whittingham said. “The team put our seniors first and sent them out the right way.”
Next, the Jaguars will play Stranahan High School on January 23 at 7:30 p.m. The Mighty Dragons are 13-2 this year and lost to only Blanche Ely and Lehi High School.
The Coral Glades girls basketball team picked up their first win of the season on Tuesday against J.P. Taravella to improve to 1-9second win on Thursday, January 18, at Charles W. Flanagan High School while JPT is now 4-4 and will have a week off before playing McArthur High School on Tuesday, January 23, at 6 p.m
While the soccer teams did not play each other, the boys from Coral Glades and J.P. Taravella picked up wins. The Jaguars beat Chaminade-Madonna High School 3-0 but then played to a 0-0 draw against Monarch High School before losing 3-1 against North Broward Prep on Thursday. The Trojans beat Piper 6-0 for their second win of the season but lost 6-0 against Fort Lauderdale High School on Wednesday.
The Coral Glades girls soccer team lost 6-1 in their last game against Cypress Bay High School. They beat Monarch High School 7-1 before a 7-0 loss against North Broward Prep on Wednesday to finish the regular season. The JPT women’s soccer team beat McArthur and Piper, outscoring their opponents 4-2 in the two games.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Springs Athletes Shine in Wrestling Tournaments and Lacrosse Matches
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Former Coral Springs Charter Pitcher Brianna Godfrey Nearly Perfect in Debut With Maryland