By: Matt Rothman
It was a memorable day for Coral Glades High School as both the boys and girls varsity soccer teams won games against Boyd Anderson High School by a combined score of 15-0.
The boys won their fifth game of the season scoring seven goals in a 7-0 win. The girls were able to top that with an 8-0 win to move to 6-5 on the season.
After Coral Glades Boys Soccer was unable to get on the scoresheet following their draw against Coconut Creek High School on January 13, the Jaguars broke out on Wednesday behind a two-goal performance from Robert Banhegyesi.
Giovannie Garcia added to his team-high seven goals, and Johann Morris and Johann Osorio each registered their first goal of the season. David Herrera and Hamza Fares scored the other two goals for the Jaguars while Lewis Mussingham recorded the shutout in net.
“We were organized and disciplined defensively,” said Head Coach Robens Decius. “We need to play more aggressive offensively and score more goals.”
To begin the season, the Jaguars scored six times in a win over Northeast High School. They also defeated Deerfield Beach, Coral Springs Charter, Pompano Beach and tied to Cypress Bay, JP Taravella, and Monarch, and Coconut Creek High School.
Up next, Coral Glades will have a quick turnaround with a game on Thursday, January 16, at 4 p.m. on the road against West Broward High School before returning home to face Coral Springs on January 21, in their final home game of the season.
In two games this week, Coral Glades Girls Soccer has outscored their opponents 16-0. They defeated Coconut Creek High School 8-0 on Monday, January 13, before doing the same against Boyd Anderson on Wednesday.
Athena Chitty had a hat-trick and also earned an assist, and Ornelie Dameus scored a pair of goals. Chelsea Barandica, Mina Kendall, and Kayla Haweny each scored as well, and Tatiana Merino registered a point with a helper.
“I feel like we are hitting our stride, and we’re looking forward to finishing the season strong,” said Head Coach Richard Denny.
The Jaguars have won three of their last four games with the only setback coming against Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. They also started the season out winning three of their first four games against Northeast, Deerfield Beach and Fort Lauderdale High School before going through a three-game losing streak in December.
They hope to continue their strong play at home against West Broward on Thursday, January 16, at 4 p.m. They will only have one more regular-season game against Coral Springs before they make a run in the district tournament.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.255 Taravella High School Bowlers Roll a Successful Season
- News2020.11.24Coral Springs Charter Bowling Has Another Terrific Season
- News2020.11.24Coral Springs High School Bowling Among Best in State
- News2020.11.24Weinstein and Edrich Lead Tight Group of Bowlers at Coral Glades High School