By: Matt Rothman
Entering the new year, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls soccer team earned a crucial win over Coral Glades to snap a three-game losing streak.
The Eagles currently hold a record of 4-4-1 but are 2-0 in districts.
After a hat-trick in the Eagles win over Monarch High School, Krystina Masihy continues to lead the team in goals with seven and has two helpers this season. She also had one of the team’s five goals Friday night against Coral Glades.
Molly Conn scored twice and assisted on Shannon Mceachern’s first goal of the season. Raquel Alvarado also scored her second this year in the win.
For the rest of the team, Emily Burke Is just one of four players to have more than one goal this season. However, they have four other players to score at least one goal in Mia Newberg, Sam Novik, Alexis Reigel, and Kayli Hendry. Also, Skylar Lund leads the team with four assists, and both Grace Keane and Chloe Rogers each have one to get in on the scoring.
In net, Carly Brodsky has received the majority of the work and, in seven games, has only allowed ten goals. In four games, Jessica Cummings has only given up two goals, as the defense of MSD continues to limit the opposition to low-quality scoring chances.
Up next, the Eagles will have three games on consecutive days next week, beginning in Pompano Beach on Tuesday, January, 13. They will then travel to play North Broward Prep the following day on the road before a district game in Parkland against Coral Springs High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.27Coral Springs High School Boys Basketball Complete Remarkable Season