By: Matt Rothman
Even with three starters fouling out in the fourth quarter, the Coral Springs Charter boys basketball team defeated Somerset Academy 47-45 Tuesday night.
With the Panthers up by two points late, they were sent to the line for a one-and-one. After missing the front end, Somerset Academy pulled down the rebound and missed the game-winning shot at the buzzer.
“It was a great team win for us after losing the night before at Cardinal Gibbons,” said Head Coach Lamar Twitty. The boys dug in and fought with heart, and then the bench came in and closed the game.”
Ian Tajalli led the Panthers with 22 points. Before the game against Cardinal Gibbons, the Panthers had won two straight games over Nova and Pompano Beach High School.
They also had some terrible luck with officiating earlier this month against J.P. Taravella. The time had run out of the first overtime, but the game-winning basket counted, and CSC lost a heart-breaker.
The Panthers had one other double-overtime game earlier in the season and fell to West Broward High School and another where they lost by two, which makes Tuesday’s game even more special where they were able to close out a tight game.
Up next, the Panthers will play their final three games at home in Coral Springs, beginning with South Plantation High School on Wednesday, January 22, at 7:30 p.m. They will then play Coral Glades on January 24 before closing the regular season out with Fort Lauderdale High School on January 27.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2021.01.16Coral Glades Cheerleading Advance to State Finals For 10th Straight Year
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs High School Cheerleading Team Advance to State Finals
- News2021.01.16Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Win Regionals
- News2021.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Defensive End Nick Dobbs Commits to College