By: Matt Rothman
For the first time in school history, the Coral Glades boy’s soccer team won the District Championship following their win over Monarch on Thursday night.
After the two teams went into the second half scoreless, Hamza Fares scored the opening goal of the game on a free-kick from a long way out.
Not long after, Giovannie Garcia continued his terrific season scoring the insurance goal, and behind a strong game in net from Lewis Massingham, the Jaguars earned the shutout.
While Head Coach Robens Decius never won a District Title during his high school career from 2005-2008 with Coral Glades, he could not be happier to win one as a coach.
“It feels unreal and hard to describe,” said Decius. “I’m happy for Coral Glades High, the boys, my assistant coach, and the fans. We are extremely focused and looking forward to the next round.”
Coral Glades, who came into the District tournament with only six wins all season, defeated Marjory Stoneman Douglas 4-1 in the semifinals before beating Monarch in the finals.
Monarch had 11 wins coming into this game, but the two teams tied earlier this season. They also beat Coral Springs High School 4-1 in the semifinals on Tuesday to play Coral Glades.
Up next, Coral Glades will play their first-ever regional game at some point next week. They do not know who they will be playing and where, but automatically clinched a spot for winning Districts.
Regardless of when they play, Decius is excited for the boys to get some rest after a busy season. After the long holiday break, the Jaguars played eight games in January, where they turned their season around winning five in a row. The days off will allow them to practice and work on a few areas they need to improve on before Regionals.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsMarch 1, 20244 Local High School Baseball Teams Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsMarch 1, 2024Rivalry Matchups Highlight Eventful Week of Athletics in Coral Springs
- NewsFebruary 22, 20245 Coral Springs Teams Compete in Regionals; Bowlers Compete in BCAA Tournament
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Coral Glades Football Adds New Offensive Coordinator