By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter School robotic club won its first-ever state competition on February 1.
Held at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, It began last September when the Coral Springs Charter CyberCats were given a challenge with a kit to build their drive train and robot. The team took advantage of their 3D printer to put parts on their robots.
While CSC has two robotics classes, Suzette Fasciani’s class, the CyberCats, finished first in an alliance with the Robo Raiders of St. Thomas Aquinas High School and Children of the Swamp of Riviera Beach High School.
To get to States, there were three tournaments — with CSC only competing in two of them. Then, during the League Championships on January 31 – February 1, teams competed in five matches with the total scores ranking every team in the league.
Once all the rankings were finalized, an elimination tournament is held, where the top four teams are chosen to be captains to assemble the alliances.
At a competition between the four finalists, CSC advanced with their alliance, and in a best-out-of-three, each team won a round before going on win 71-54 in the deciding round.
“The kids have a lot of fun doing this,” said Fasciani. “They build a lot of good relationships, so it is not just about robotics. They enjoy doing this stuff and have fun doing it.”
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.09.08Gavin Conticello: Coral Springs Charter School’s Sensational Senior
- News2020.07.07Coral Springs Resident Coby Mayo Inks Deal with Baltimore Orioles
- News2020.06.17Eric Windell Named Coral Springs Charter Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
- News2020.06.12Coral Springs’ Coby Mayo Drafted by Major League Baseball